Monday, July 13, 2009

Truck Antlers or Help Change a Child's Life - YOU DECIDE

Hi everyone,

I was on a flight yesterday morning and couldn't help myself: I picked up the inflight catalog. I'm sure you've browsed through it once or twice. It's full of things you just have to have, especially when you're a captive audience on a runway.

While I was browsing, I got really excited about a few things I just had to have. That would finally, truly, make me happy. I mean, how could you really, ever be happy without....

Truck Antlers. That's right, antlers that hook up to your truck. To give your truck the appearance of having, well, antlers.


They're listed for $24.99. With tax and delivery, it comes out to $37.11.

I don't have a truck, but I believe they make a car model.

So I was getting my credit card out to buy the truck antlers when I realized that for only $28.00, I could help Save the Children make a difference in the life of a child and his or her community. That's a savings of NINE DOLLARS!!! I'm sure you've seen some of the kids we've sponsored through Authentic's Two for One Program - but truly, should we waste our money on sponsoring a kid like Karen-Joy when we can have truck antlers??? I'm sure she and her family would understand that I NEED TRUCK ANTLERS.

Whew. Gotta take a breath. Feeling a little guilty about the antlers, so I went back to the catalog in search of something a little more substantial, something that would really, truly make a difference in my life. Something that would make me completely, irrevocably happy.

And then I found it:









The Marshmallow Shooter, for $24.95. I mean, can you imagine how happy I'd be if I could freakin shoot marshmallows out of a freakin gun??? It shoots sweet, edible miniature marshmallows over thirty feet. How amazing is that??? Four cents less than the antlers––and a bargain at that price.

Then I started to think. The Shooter is $37 with tax and delivery. What if I skipped the shooter and spent $28 on sponsoring a child through Save the Children? Check out this info from our Two for One posting:
When you commit to sponsoring a child through Save the Children, you're providing necessary resources to help Save the Children help them thrive. Save the Children works with the child's family and community to develop the entire community's ability to take care of itself. Your sponsorship contributions are not given directly to your sponsored child but combined with the gifts of other caring individuals and organizations to help support local projects that benefit many children in the communities receiving sponsorship funding.

Sponsoring a child directly benefits his or her community, by providing activities like basic medical care and hygiene education, or programs that allow the child and his or her classmates and friends to attend and thrive at school.
Wow, what a guilt trip! I'm sure little four year old Rasel from Bangladesh would be fine without Save the Children's services for one lousy month. Because that marshmallow shooter would truly make me happy, at long last.

But if I'm going to be really, truly happy, I shouldn't skimp, right? I should spend a few extra bucks on myself and make 100% sure I'm living a life of total bliss. Which can only mean one thing:

Voice Activated R2-D2.








How could I really ever be happy without a Voice Activated R2-D2? It's $169.99 but comes out to $205.99 with delivery and tax. Now that would really make me truly happy.

Much happier, than, say, sponsoring Pinki for seven months. That's right. For less than the cost of the Voice Activated R2-D2, I could help Save the Children provide Pinki and her community with essential services. But what's her well-being compared to the happiness I'd have by getting a Voice Activated R2-D2??? Seriously now.

But once again, I think I'm selling myself short. If I'm really, truly going to be happy, there's only one thing that would guarantee it:

A Six Foot Tall Italian Armor Sculpture. Remember, friends, nothing screams "classy" like a giant suit of armor. And for only $1138.02, I could have one shipped to my own home! Yayyy!! Now that would truly ensure my happiness. Surely it would, more that sponsoring Sherlyn from the Phillipines for forty freakin' months. That's right, for the price of the Italian Armor, I could help Save the Children make a difference in the life of Sherlyn and her community for over three years.

Hmmmm....

Maybe I should reconsider.

After all, the Authentic "Two for One" program is still going on. So if I sponsor a child through Save the Children, I'm really helping two children and their communities.

But geez, Italian Armor? How cool would that look in my office?

In any case, when you're considering your next impulse purchase, consider whether the thing you're buying will make a real, lasting difference in your life. Will it truly make you happy? And then consider that the small donation you make through Save the Children makes a real, lasting difference in the lives of children and their communities worldwide.

Or buy the R2-D2. Just let me come by and play with it for a while.

Jon

No comments: